If you’re looking to learn how to take advantage of your health to enhance your strength, you’re in the right place. Today, we’re diving into the benefits of Vitamin D – the key to maintaining lean muscles, muscle strength, and building bone mineral density. Vitamin D for stronger bones and building muscle is a huge win!
Basic Info on Vitamin D
First things first, let’s get to know a bit more about Vitamin D:
- It’s a fat-soluble vitamin which means it absorbs best when consumed with a fat food/source.
- Ways to get Vitamin D include foods like fatty fish, fortified milk/milk alternatives, and mushrooms. You can also find Vitamin D from getting some sunshine and supplementation.
- The Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) recommends a daily intake of 15 micrograms.
What Causes Vitamin D Deficiency?
Maintaining proper levels of Vitamin D is essential for strong bones and optimal calcium absorption. But, here’s the kicker: various factors can mess with our vitamin D levels. Things like types of food/nutritions, air pollution, our skin tone, temperature, weight, and age all play a role. If you are low in Vitamin D or if you have a Vitamin D deficiency, it can cause low energy, increased parathyroid hormones, decreased calcium absorption, and can cause our bones to weaken instead of grow stronger.
Benefits of Vitamin D
- Enhances calcium absorption in the body in a process called Food Synergy
- Increased muscle protein synthesis to build and repair muscle tissue
- Improves muscle function
- Reduces muscle damage and inflammation from exercise for a faster recovery
- Helps build bone density
- Reduces the risk of osteoporosis
- Reduces joint pain and inflammation
Where Do We Go from Here?
Clearly, there’s still much work to be done in understanding the complex relationship between Vitamin D and bone density. Future research will be essential to providing a more definitive answer. With a mix of positive, negative, and inconclusive results out there, it’s crucial for individuals to consult with their healthcare providers to make informed decisions about Vitamin D supplementation. As we continue to journey towards better health, it’s essential to stay informed and consult with experts to make the best choices for our bodies.